Living at ease in the summer can be taken for granted, particularly until you encounter a taste of discomfort with an air conditioner breakdown. It can hit at the worst moments; you’re eating lunch and unexpectedly recognize how warm your kitchen feels or you can’t fall asleep at night because you are so hot wrapped in your covers. Think you’re feeling this uneasiness? It might be time for an air conditioner replacement.
Usually, it isn’t the thermostat’s fault; the settings can be working appropriately, but it still reads that the temperature is above 80 degrees. It’s often times caused by an old or faulty air conditioner that demands a call to the experts to find out what’s wrong. There are many explanations why air conditioners stop working, especially bearing in mind the weather in Holdrege. Here are a couple of things that you can search for before you call Durable Service if you think your air conditioner has stopped working:
- Broken outdoor fan motor: There is a fan motor on your external air conditioning system that helps flow the heat from your home to the outdoors. If you scrutinize your system and see that the fan isn’t running, it means that the heat transfer isn’t occurring, causing the warm air to hang around in your home. This malfunction can also cause overheating of the compressor and other possible internal damage to your system.
- Dirty filters: It’s one of the most likely issues that Durable Service sees. These filthy filters in your air conditioner reduce suitable airflow, affecting the air quality in your home, which is really tricky when allergy season comes around. Unclean air filters can also reduce the efficiency in your home and raise your monthly energy costs.
- Blocked air flow: Always check for an barrier or obstruction in your return-air or supply-air grille. This can cause your air conditioner to decrease efficiency and decelerate.
TIP: Make sure the grilles aren’t concealed by furniture or other home items, also.
- Outside obstructions: Good air flow could be also slowed down from outdoor obstructions around your system, such as shrubbery, trees, lawn chairs, etc. When the air flow is deterred, it can change it’s cooling capacities. Make sure that your system is uninhibited by obstacles and is cleaned regularly to decrease the chance of air conditioner replacement.
Once you’ve worked through these four system checks and your air conditioner still isn’t working, here are a list of questions and additional checks that you should inspect and answer to get your system up and working again. (Only progress to the next question if the system doesn’t switch on after doing the step before it):
- Is your thermostat temperature set below the indoor temperature?
- Is your system switch in the COOL spot?
- Is the outdoor unit power supply switch ON?
- Is the furnace/air handler power supply ON?
- Is your house fuse box/breaker box whole or has it blown a fuse or tripped a circuit breaker?
- If none of these things fix your system procedure, call Durable Service at 308-995-8177.
Don’t let an air conditioner breakdown or replacement keep you awake at night. If you follow these tips and keep your system under regular maintenance, you should have you air conditioner operating again in no time. Our team at Durable Service in Holdrege is always here to help – give us a call at 308-995-8177.