Spring is in the air here in Holdrege and that means vacation plans are in your near future. While you’re sorting through what you need to pack and take with you, don’t forget what stays behind, your home. The Durable Service team has some recommendations that will help keep your home safe and help save some money on your utility bills while you revel in a well-deserved vacation.
- Install Timers - Timers are an economical way to make your home seem as though you are home by turning off and on the lights as if you never left. It’s a good idea to program your lights to correspond with your regular schedule.
- Enlist the help of a house-sitter - If you have a dependable friend or family member, ask them if they’d mind stopping by and [[checking in on|check up on|look over]18 the house while you’re away. There’s no greater comfort than a text while you’re you’re on vacation letting you know that everything at home is just fine.
- Wait to share - We aren’t going to tell you not to share photos of your awesome vacation on social media, but try to put it off until after you are back to post information about your trip. Family and friends most likely already know you’re leaving so there’s no reason letting potential criminals know your intentions. Everyone will be just as excited about the wonderful things you saw after you safely return home.
- Hold the Mail - The USPS has made it as simple as ever to put a hold on your mail you can do it online right now.
- Unplugged - If an electrical device is plugged in, even if it’s not on, it’s using energy. An effortless way to conserve energy while you’re away is to unplug some of your electronics. Something that you may overlook unplugging is your garage door. It will cut back on energy and it will also be another safeguard for your home.
- Adjust the thermostat - If you’re not going to be home there’s no sense keeping your home heated and cooled to your comfort level. If you have a digital thermostat you can set the thermostat back to your usual level so you arrive back to a safe, cozy home.
These are some easy tips to add to your spring break prep agenda, right after finding the perfect bathing suit. If you have any questions about safeguarding your home this season or want to review additional energy saving tips, give Durable Service in Holdrege a call at 308-995-8177.