Whether you like winter or desire the warmer months in Holdrege, most of us make adjustments to ensure our home’s temperature keeps us content. This can have a huge impact on your utility costs, but there are steps you can take to help lower those costs.
- Check weather stripping – As the years go on, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to identify any drafts that have to be addressed.
- Make use of your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be useful in keeping your house warm. Keep them open during the day when the sun is out, and make sure to close them at nighttime, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter regularly to see if it needs to be switched out. We suggest at least once every three months, but every household is different, so that can vary.
- Purchase a programmable thermostat – It may seem like just a simple way to make sure your home remains warm, but programmable thermostats can also save you money! You can arrange temperatures to be lower when you are away from the home or sleeping. Being more mindful of efficiency will help with heating costs.
- Add insulation to your attic – Check to see if you have an adequate amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a powerful tool to decrease the chances of heat escaping.
- Call for routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system needs a little attention, too. Hiring professionals to clean and maintain your system will verify that your system is running effectively and efficiently. They can also detect small issues that could end up as more expensive repairs if ignored.
- Assess your HVAC system – If you notice your energy bills are continually increasing—even with your efforts to enhance efficiency—it might be time to look for a replacement heating system. The professionals at Durable Service can help you review the performance of your HVAC system and walk through the choices for newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps lower the amount of money you are spending on your energy bills, but many of them can help your heating system work more efficiently. More efficient energy use also improves the health of your equipment, which means your system will last longer.
If you are considering routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide additional information on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give Durable Service in Holdrege a call to start down the right path. Give us a shout at 308-995-8177 or book an appointment with us online.